Reaching Out . . .
Ministries within our Church that reach out to our neighbors and community to bring Christian love and share God's promise.
- Vacation Bible School - A fun-filled week in July for children that have completed pre-school through sixth grade. The children will have a great time participating in Bible stories, lively songs, crafts, games, skits and don't forget the snacks. Utilizing all these activites we help the kids discover that God created them, loves them, and wants them to be a part of His family. For more information on how your children can participate or how you may help with this ministry contact the church office.
- First Byron Friends - First Byron Friends is a ministry to special needs people. Once a month participants enjoy outings and activities together, along with adult chaperones who often bring their own children too. They have gone to basketball, football and White Caps games, bowling, swimming, boating, and tubing. Outing are usually on Saturday, late afternoon into the evening. This gives the parents a chance to go out to eat, and the Friends a chance to do something with someone other than their parents/guardians. Chaperoning is a wonderful way to show care and make a special friend.
- Family Dinner Night - The purpose of our Family Night is for members to invite friends, neighbors and families in our community to join our church family for dinner and a time of fellowship. Following dinner, children ages pre-school through 3rd grade are invited to join together to learn a Bible story, make a craft and play games. Our purpose is to draw those who don't yet know the love of Jesus in a personal way into our church, to welcome them, develop relationships and let God use us as instruments for His glory. 1st Wednesday of each month, Oct. through April.
- Helping Hands - These ladies coordinate meal deliveries from church members for other members who are ill, recovering from surgery, grieving, etc. New moms also receive a meal. Other help, such as rides to the doctor, cleaning, childcare, etc. could be volunteered as well.
- Basket Ministry - Members fill baskets of goodies and surprises to be shared with others in need of encouragement. If you know of a neighbor or community member that could use a basket of encouragement, please contact the church office.
- Stephen Ministy - Stephen Ministry is a way for our congregation to provide high-quality care and outreach to hurting people in the congregation and community. Stephen Ministers are congregation members who have gone through 50 hours of training to provide one-to-one, Christ-centered care to the bereaved, hospitalized, terminally ill, seperated, divorced, unemployed, relocated and others facing a crisis or life challenge.
- Prayer Shawl Ministry - This group of knitters creates prayer shawls for members and friends who are experiencing a life challenge- long term illnes, undergoing treatment for illness, etc. Each shawl is sent with a message, assuring the recipient that the warmth of the shawl is a reminder of others lifting them up in prayer. This group meets twice a month to knit and pray for those who may be receiving their shawl. Some knitters prefer to knit on their own time. Meeting: 2nd and 4th Monday of each month from 7-9pm.
- Transport for Christ - Mobil chapels across North America and in Russia take themessage of the Good News of Jesus Christ to truckers where they work and spend a large part of their lives: the truck stops and the road. TFC chapels - including Grand Rapids' Refuge Chapel at the 76th Street exit of US 131, offer truckers a place where they cna find fellowship, encouragement, a listening ear, prayer in time of need, and at all times, themessage of redemption in Jesus Christ. We now make available at Refuge Chapel CD's of Pastor Tom's sermons some of which include a lesson outline and questions which can be returned to TFC for follow-up. Contact: Chad Roedema (Chapel Chaplain), Bill Verwys or Gord Laninga (Chapel Volunteers), Doug Lutke or Gary Horstmanshof (CD with lesson ministry).
- Sidewalk Counseling - Sidewalk counselors to to abortion clinics and offer help, prayer and literature to people entering the clinic. Counselors from around the city try to be at two clinics in the area on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Counselors from our church include Mary Verwys, Kim Sterk, Judy Hunderman; counseling online is Ruth Doornbos. If you are interested in learning more about this ministry and the possibility of becoming a counselor, contact the church office.
- Byron Community Ministries (Food and Assistance Ministry), Byron Center, MI
- Kid's Hope USA - This is for adults who are interested in building a loving friendship one-on-one with a child at Brown Elementary School. Time commitment is one hour per week. Prayer partners are also needed to support mentors. No experience is necessary, just a desire to share God's love with a child through your actions. Material and training are provided.
- Garden of Hope Ministry....Where Mercy Meets Hope- This local ministry participates in the areas that abortion affects. Part of the ministry is actually standing near the abortion clinic in Grand Rapids offering help to the women planning to abort their babies. The ministry is also involved with caring for the women that have the courage to choose life; praying on-site in the Omega House; offering instructive "tours of the abortion industry" and holding retreats for post-abortive women. there are many volunteer opportunities that are non-confrontational and behind the scenes.
- Crossroad Bible Institute - Weekly, some of our members correct prison inmates' Bible lessons and send them an encouraging letter. Course material for the inmates is supplied by Crossroad Bible Institute. members do this at home, but try to meet together once or twice a year to encourage each ot her and for updating. Contact: Gary Bronsink
- Semi-Annual Spring Mission Trip - A group of members/families coordinate and travel to help individual families and a community in need. Contact: Dick and Carla Norden
- Cary Christian Center, Mississippi - [Carolyn Newhof]